Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November Mix 2011

God damn this month had releases! I tried my best to keep the mix short but I even ended up leaving projects out because there was just too much music this November. I guess that's where I got this whole HipHopSurplus concept from though. Regardless, this month had some pretty outstanding music. Besides the mainstream artists such as Wale and Drake (I'm sure you can tell how I feel about his album by the picture above) releasing their sophomore efforts, other new commers such as Freddie Gibbs, Pac Div, & ASAP Rocky dropped exceptional pieces of work that were 100x's better than that of the radio established rappers.


The youngin' Chuuwee also dropped some classic material with his Watching the Throne project and I'll even admit that the comedian/actor, Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino), left me surprised with his solid CAMP album. Last but not least, Mac Miller made it into the hip hop history books by accomplishing a #1 album on Billboard with his Blue Slide Park release. Not to say that no rapper has landed #1 on Billboard before, but the 19 year old did this without a major record deal; the last artist/group to achieve this was the Dogg Pound back in '95. Independent, young enough to be charged with underage drinking, and white... Props!

No comments: